Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Things You Might Not Know About Your Spice Rack


I've always wondered if there is a difference between regular spices and organic spices. In general, spices are not cheap, especially Cardamom (or cardamon). I still haven't bought a bottle of Cardamom yet because it is $12 for a 2.38oz bottle. Due to the price discrepancy between organic and non-organic spices, I decided to do some research to determine if it is a good investment to buy organic spices over regular spices. Here is a a brief article on the highlights of my findings.
Differences Between Organic And Regular Spices 
Regular Spices go through either irradiation or fumigation sterilization method. These methods are used because it is inexpensive to the manufacturer. Although bacteria is killed by these methods, flavor, color, medicinal and nutritional value can be altered and lost.

  • Irradiation: is the process of exposing the spice or any product to radiation.
  • Fumigation: is the process of exposing the spice to Ethylene Oxide (ETO), a pesticide.
Organic Spices are the only guaranteed spices to be sterilized by steam treatment, a process that guarantees to have no carcinogenic or toxic drawbacks. This method alters the color and flavor of spices minimally compared to the other sterilization methods. Organic spices are guaranteed to be free of harmful additives like artificial colors and artificial flavors.
  • Steam treatment/Steam Technology: the use of highly heated water to kill microbes. This process is every expensive and sophisticated because of the need to maximize flavor of the spice while killing microbes. 
Organic Spices Are Costly...Is It Worth It?
I've just moved to Rochester and was grocery shopping with my parents-in-law. I want to buy some spices to make my own curry. When faced with the decision to choose between organic spices or cheaper alternatives, it was more stressful than it should be. 

I was on a budget and my parents-in-law knew about it. As I stood before the unending aisle of spices, all the different reasons why I shouldn’t and should purchase organic spices flooded my mind in the 30 seconds I gave myself to make a decision. In the end, I took a deep breath, placed the organic spices in my basket and cowardly rushed to paid for my purchases, before my parents-in-law could see the purchases I made with the budget I’m on. 

I’ll confidently share with you the reasons why I gave up a few grocery items to purchase those organic spices. I hope this will help you form your own opinion.


Cost & Investment: An average jar of a two to three oz organic spice is $4 and will last for me at least six months if not a year. I only use ¼ to 1 teaspoon of each spice to make a large batch of curry or pumpkin bread. From knowing this, I saw the cost of organic spices to be inexpensive for the quality and quantity.


Health: There is no concrete proof that the use of radiation or fumigation in spices can cause cancer, or that it severely alters the nutritional content. However, I don’t want to risk promoting cancer to newlywed husband even if it means he has to be vegetarian for the week. From a logical standpoint, choosing a food product that has been sanitize by heat and water seems to be more safe than utilizing a pesticide or radiation.


Quality: 
For my cooking and baking, I don’t want to include any artificial flavors or colors. By investing in organic spices, I don't need to worry about chemical additives and know that my baked deliciousness will be well seasoned and fragrant. If I am using high quality ingredients to make awesome deliciousness, I need to follow through to the end and I can't let a few spices stop me.

I Can't Afford Organic Spices, What Is The Best Alternative?
If you're on a budget and cannot afford organic spices, look for spices that do include any additional ingredients. After all, you're purchasing the spice, not the additives! Companies that add artificial colors, preservatives or other additives to their product are legally required to include them on the food label.

Additionally, a spice that does not contain any artificial colors or flavors is more likely to be of higher quality and has been through a better sanitation process. Artificial colors and flavoring are most likely added to the spice to mask or to make up for flavor or color that was lost during the manufacturing process. Spices naturally flavor and color food, and they do not need additives to do this. 


Facts & Connections: Fumigation is known to alter the flavor and color of mustard seeds and turmeric. If mustard seeds and turmeric have artificial coloring and other chemicals added to it, they have probably been through fumigation.

3 comments:

  1. Nice tips, Organic spices from MY SPICER are a culinary delight! With their rich flavors and natural goodness, they elevate every dish to new heights. From vibrant turmeric to aromatic cumin, each spice is grown with care and expertise, ensuring premium quality and freshness. Plus, knowing they're organic gives peace of mind, knowing you're enjoying pure, unadulterated flavors while supporting sustainable agriculture.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts