Thursday, December 27, 2012

Mini Maple-Walnut Biscotti

Here is a simple recipe adapted from King Arthur's website for Maple-Walnut Biscotti. I was inspired try a couple different biscotti recipe this winter since my neighborhood grocery store has been selling these cute store-baked mini biscotti's for $11.99lb. They looked good but not good enough for $11.99 a pound. So let me introduce to you one of the two biscotti I made last week. 

I made a couple modifications to the recipe but you can find the original here. I omitted the white sugar, replaced maple flavoring with vanilla extract, and replaced white flour with White Whole Wheat flour. I also didn't make the topping. I let my husband made it. When I asked him how he made it, he couldn't give me a recipe since he just experimented by cooking maple syrup with butter and a couple other ingredients which he couldn't recall. Sorry! The maple coating for the biscotti was messy to make but it was tasty. From cooking down the syrup, it turned dark brown and harden easily. We made letters, funny shapes and designs with it which you can see in the photos below. 

Taste & Texture: The biscotti itself was mildly sweet since I omitted the white sugar. They were tasty,  especially with the maple-walnut coating. I omitted the white sugar since I knew that the maple coating will add enough flavor and sweetness to the biscotti. The biscotti was a bit crunchy but firm. It was too hard to consume without tea after a few days. I made these last week and enjoyed a couple with hot tea today since I am snowed in. 



Ingredients
2 cups Walnut (coarsely chopped & toasted)
2 large Eggs
¼ cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Maple Syrup
½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
⅓ cup Butter (melted)
2½ cup Whole Wheat Flour (any type and kind)
½ teaspoon Salt

Optional Topping
2 tablespoon maple Sugar
Chopped Walnuts

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare baking sheet by lightly greasing it or lining it with parchment paper. 
  2. Toast walnuts in oven at 350F for 8 to 10 minutes, till they're light golden brown. 
  3. Beat eggs, sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract together. Add melted butter and beat until smooth. 
  4. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and nuts together. Then add it to the wet mixture. Mix together. 
  5. Divide dough into four equal parts on a lightly floured surface.  Shape each dough into a rough rectangle to your desired side. For smaller sized biscotti, roll dough out into a more narrow log. 
  6. Using wet fingers, smooth top and sides of rectangles. Sprinkle maple sugar on top of each rectangle if desired. 
  7. Bake biscotti for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes. 
  8. Use a serrated knife and cut biscotti on a cutting board. Cut biscotti into ½" thick slices. Place slices onto a prepared baking sheet. It is okay to place them closely together.
  9. Bake for 10 minute on each side. They should be slightly golden. Cool on baking sheet.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts